Imagine singing a song that your ancestors have sung for over 1000 years every single year.
This is what our Jewish brothers and sisters are in the habit of doing every pass over- where they remember God’s good gifts for bringing them out of the land of Egypt.
One of their traditional songs is a joyous chorus song with passion and force “Dayenu”
“.... a song that is part of the Jewish holiday of Passover... The song is about being grateful to God for all of the gifts he gave the Jewish people, such as taking them out of slavery, giving them the Torah and Shabbat, and had God only given one of the gifts, it would have still been enough. This is to show much greater appreciation for all of them as a whole.” (Source From Wikipedia)
“If he had done ______, but not ______it would have been enough"
Read the actual song translated from its original Hebrew.
Every time the end of the line was made, the entire family would join in with a yell of gratitude Dayenu! (That would be enough!)
1) If He had brought us out of Egypt. DAYENU!
2) If He had executed justice upon the Egyptians. DAYENU!
3) If He had executed justice upon their gods. DAYENU!
4) If He had slain their first-born. DAYENU!
5) If He had given to us their health and wealth. DAYENU!
6) If He had split the sea for us. DAYENU!
7) If He had led us through on dry land. DAYENU!
8) If He had drowned our oppressors. DAYENU!
9) If He had provided for our needs in the wilderness for 40 years. DAYENU!
10) If He had fed us manna. DAYENU!
11) If He had given us Shabbat. DAYENU!
12) If He had led us to Mount Sinai. DAYENU!
13) If He had given us the Torah. DAYENU!
14) If He had brought us into the Land of Israel. DAYENU!
15) If He built the Temple for us. DAYENU!
See a YouTube video about this song:! https://youtu.be/8p1pabOX3fc
What has God brought you through in your life or this year even?
Can you write your own Dayenu song about the journey God has taken you through?
Here is a little template to get you started:
If HE had only done_______ Dayenu! (Then that would be enough!)
Could you sing your own version to God and thank Him today?